Sunday, 18 March 2012

social change


According to Malcom Gladwell, a well-known author in the area of social media, social media are built around weak ties and real social change can never come from loose networks of people that do not know each other. Do you think that social media has the potential to bring about real social change.
The statement that Malcom Gladwell has said about social media being built around weak ties and real social change can never come from loose networks of people that do not know each other, I think is not all that agreeable with but I can mostly agree with what the author “Malcom Gladwell” is saying. There are a lot of new events, wars and interesting news that are happening around not he world everyday. For example, there was the “Kony 2012” video just a week ago, where everyone watched a 30 min short film about what’s supposedly happening in Uganga right now, which might be true or not, and instantly people believed this was true, and by clicking like/share and buying their “Kony 2012” products, that they will be making a difference. After a couple of hours there were a couple of events that were being posted on Facebook that were to help support the “invisible children” but these events never happened. I think social media can influence people to bring about real social change but not as greatly as the actual main media that we normally rely on like the news and such. With some social media website like YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, it does have the potential because it reaches out to a lot more people, but if they do not know each other, then they might not want to involve them self in things that other people are doing, that others might look on as wrong. If you don’t know people that are having a party, would you just walk up into the party all by yourself? I don’t think I would do anything like that if I didn’t know anyone there.

No comments:

Post a Comment